Monday, October 21, 2013

i'm just going to say it...

I hate hashtags.

And I mean I genuinely l-o-a-t-h-e them. They drive me completely insane.

There. I said it. I just had to get that off my chest. And for those of you - my friends - who overuse hashtags, this does not change the way I feel about YOU personally. It's just my opinion on this latest trend.

That being said, I can understand using them as a way to label specific posts. For example, if you participate in what's called "Throwback Thursday" where on Thursdays you post a picture from the past, and you use the hashtag #throwbackthursday to label it as such so that when people want to look at other people's Throwback Thursday posts on Instagram, it's simple to do so...I get that. It's why I use labels on my blog posts so I can easily find something later on.


But other than that...I simply cannot stand them. When people will #hashtag #every #single #word #in #their #sentence? Uh, yeah...why, exactly? Or when they hashtag every single thing in their picture - like if they post a picture of a bird in a tree with a blue sky in the background they would do this:  #sky #bird #bluesky #bluebird #tree #treewithnoleaves #beautifulsky #bluebackground #birdsittinginatree...really?

And then there's those who choose to write complete sentences using hashtags. Like if they would post a picture of their breakfast and then type: #ireallywantedcornpopsforbreakfastbuthadtosettleforfruitloopsinstead. Why wouldn't you just type: "I really wanted Corn Pops for breakfast but had to settle for Fruit Loops instead?" I just don't get it.

I know what you may be thinking: Don't knock it till you try it. Well, I did try it. Way back in the beginning of the year, I posted a picture on Instagram showing me relaxing on the couch with a book and a cup of hot tea on a Sunday afternoon. My hashtag read something like #ilovesundays. And I think that was the first and last time I used a hashtag [other than to use #handiwork on the first several pictures of my crocheted creations that I posted, but even that ended pretty quickly when I realized just how many other pictures have that label that have nothing remotely in common with MY kind of handiwork].

So, I did try it. And I still hate it. I hate that there are no punctuation marks, I hate that there are no spaces between the words, and I hate it that one day my kids will be living in the time where people only speak in hashtags. What is happening to the English language?

Am I the only one who is irritated by this phenomenon? 

Okay, rant over. For now.

5 comments:

pam said...

I'm totally with you!! Have you seen the video on youtube with Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake making fun of hashtags? It's hilarious. Go watch it right now. Just search for "#hashtag". ;)

LaughingLady said...

Ugh. This is one of my pet peeves, too. Along with people who use and/or overuse text message abbreviations. (like imho, btw, cya, g2g, yolo, etc.) We are losing our ability to communicate in writing and we are willingly foregoing oral communication in favour of the aforementioned infuriating text message abbreviations.

Whew, okay now I'm done venting, too. Thanks for saving me a well-worded and punctuated blog post! :)

TammyIsBlessed said...

I'm SOOOOO with you!

Jenn said...

They definitely can be #overused. For the most part I think they're #fun though.

Pamela said...

I like hashtags! I do realize they are often overused but to me they are often the back story of what is going on in the photo. I'm also a big fan of ellipses and brackets which I think do the same thing (and I do know I overuse those too!) I think part of my like for hashtags comes from the fact that my kids' friends use them all the time and since they have allowed me to become a part of their world on instagram I am thankful for the backstory on their photos. I feel thankful for the chance to get to know them better for what they choose to tell me through their tags. Long hashtags are hilarious to me but maybe I like them because as a Grade 1 teacher I am very fluent in "Grade1ese" a language where no one seems to leave any spaces between their words! ;)