Friday, October 11, 2013

my thoughts on the october dress project

The what??

For those of you who don't know what The October Dress Project is, here it is in a nutshell: You take one dress and you put it on in some way, shape or form every single day for the entire month of October. 

Why?

For a few different reasons. Some do it to take a stand against spending money on unnecessary clothing items for a month. Some do it to try to live more simply. Others want to do it to use their creativity.

It's not that you just wear that one dress every day - you use items you already have in your closet to accessorize it in different ways throughout the month. How many outfits can you create that revolve around that one simple dress? Probably a lot more than you think!

This project, in my opinion, is very intriguing.

My sister and a friend are both doing it this year, and when I first read on their blogs that they were taking the plunge, I was interested. I sorta kinda wanted to do it too. I even had the perfect black dress to use.

But I didn't do it. The main reason for this is that my lifestyle is such that there would be many days where it wouldn't make sense. I'm a mostly stay-at-home-mom (who is literally a stay.at.home.mom) who, when actually leaving the house to go to work, cleans houses for my job.

Hmmm...so get dressed in a nicely co-ordinated outfit that nobody other than my hubby and kids will see and wear it while cleaning houses? It just felt like there wouldn't be much point. I have a few times a week where I would be seen in public - but other than short walks to the bus stop with my daughter, my daily routine doesn't really involve seeing a lot of people for the most part [wow, I just realized how boring that makes me sound].

So, October 1st rolled around and nothing changed for me, wardrobe-wise. But as the days have gone on and I have seen the daily pictures of those who are participating...well, my desire to attempt this project has only increased. I see their pictures and I want to be a part of it.

But it's 11 days into October. So I'm going to do my own spin on the project. I will start tomorrow - October 12th - and go for the full 31 days, ending on November 11th. I will call it The Octember Dress Project, as it will be partly in October and partly in November [clever, I know...].

I'm a bit concerned that I don't have enough bottoms to go with the dress - or fun belts and footwear and such - but I will do my best with what I have. And I just might wear it for cleaning houses anyway - wearing an apron over it so as to not get it stained with household cleaners, of course. Either that, or change as soon as I get home...yes, even if the only people who will see me are my hubby and the kids. There will still be pictures of every day to show the outfits that I did wear...even if I only wore it for 5 minutes to take the picture.  :) If the main point - for me, personally - is to foster my creativity with my wardrobe choices, then it doesn't really matter how many people see each outfit, does it?

And so before I talk myself out of this, I will hit "publish" and commit to my very own Octember Dress Project...and this [pardon the poor quality picture] is "the dress."


 And you can follow along with my daily outfits on my October Dress Project blog!




2 comments:

Pamela said...

I am SOOOO excited to see what you come up with. I always looked forward to your outfit posts because you seem to have a flair for accessories. I'm so glad you are joining in!

Jackie Klassen said...

You are the perfect person to participate in this! Have fun!