Wednesday, November 27, 2013

this little light of mine

You know those times when things all seem to fall into place...and then God throws in an extra surprise?

I had one of those times this week.

A couple of days ago, I saw a  particular listing on our local Buy & Sell page on Facebook. Now, lately I haven't spent much time on the computer at all (due to my thriving crochet business) - and especially not on the Buy & Sell page. So when I just so happened to stumble upon this listing, I was sure it was my lucky day.

The listing was for a special therapy light; one of those lights to help people who struggle with winter depression.

Cha-ching! 

It was in "like new" condition, selling for $75 - half off the original in-store price. And I knew - and trusted - the person selling it, which meant I was confident it was in good condition and I wouldn't be getting ripped off. The only glitch was that someone else had commented ahead of me, so I wasn't sure I would be the one who would be lucky enough to get to purchase it. But the next day, I was notified that the first potential buyer was not making the purchase and it was mine if I wanted it.

I talked to Les to make sure he was okay with the $75 expense, and of course he was all for it. So I made arrangements to pick it up the next morning (which was yesterday).

I arrived at the house to pick it up, and after talking for a couple of minutes about the light, as I was getting ready to exchange the money for the item - she looked at me and said, "I know this might sound strange...but this morning I felt that God was telling me to give this to you. For free."

Stunned, I stood with the cheque in my hand, my mouth probably hanging wide open. I don't remember what exactly I said, but I'm pretty sure it involved the words "what?", "are you sure?", "thank you" and "that's amazing." After a quick hug, with tears in my eyes, I changed the subject and started rambling on about something else to prevent me from turning into a puddle right there in her front entrance.

I was humbled and blown away.

First of all, that someone would be so generous. I know this wonderfully generous person, but not very well. Not well enough where it would be natural to give something this costly to me for free like you might do a family member or close friend. No, this was a genuine sacrifice that she made for me...simply because God asked her to. I know I personally would've struggled with that request had it been me in her position. Afterall, it's the Christmas season - do you know how many gifts that money could buy? I'm sure it wasn't an easy thing to do.

Secondly - the timing of it. Currently, Les is in the middle of a few days of unplanned time off of work due to circumstances beyond his - or his employer's - control. Nothing that will put us in the poor house, but enough to throw us off our budget. It had crossed my mind that perhaps spending $75 on something for myself at this time of year wasn't exactly the best idea. But I very quickly reminded myself that this wasn't a frivolous luxury item, but rather a wise purchase that has the potential to better my mental health. It was definitely a purchase I was going to be making. I needed this light.

Thirdly - and this the most amazing of all - the proof that GOD - the almighty, powerful Creator of the universe was thinking of little ol' ME.

ME!!!

An experience like this is enough to bring you to your knees. I am truly in awe of His love and mercy. To be in the middle of something like this - I just can't adequately put it into words. It was an incredible reminder that God really does love each and every one of His children. More than we could ever imagine. And He cares - about the big stuff and the small stuff.

To the generous gifter - I know you're reading this. And I want to say thank-you again...from the bottom of my heart. Your gesture meant more to me than you could possibly know.

3 comments:

Jen said...

How cool is that?!

Jackie Klassen said...

What a blessing!!!

TammyIsBlessed said...

What a beautiful story - thanks for sharing it with us. :)

And another huge thank you to this generous person for blessing my sister in this way!!