Wednesday, March 5, 2014

all too familiar

Well...Sunday was the day that I have been dreading for the past several months. It was the day when I woke up to back pain once again.

Yes, that's right. I had a relapse with my back.

I'm thinking this time it was due to playing Just Dance on the Wii with some friends on Saturday night. I didn't do anything too crazy, but it must've been just enough to tweak something.

Sunday morning started out with me just slightly noticing an issue, and as the morning wore on in church it was becoming more and more painful. I had to stay seated for congregational singing, and when I got up to walk, I needed to rely on the pews for support. It also took a few minutes each time I stood up for me to straighten up, giving me the oh-so-glamorous hobbling around look.

I tried to not panic too much as the thought of being trapped in this situation again for who knows how long was starting to suffocate me. It took all of my energy to just focus on that one day; to not look ahead to the many days and weeks and possibly months down the road.

I didn't sleep well Sunday night as I was terrified about getting up in the morning. When this happened to me last June, while the first day was bad enough, getting up after the first night of sleeping on it was excruciating. It was the morning when I literally took 5 minutes to walk to my bathroom and when I had to get Les to help me back into bed. And later when I needed to get the girls up for school, I had to crawl to get there. I was really dreading having to go through that once again.

However, when Monday morning arrived, I discovered - to my absolute joy - that things had not gotten any worse over night. In fact, things might have even improved ever so slightly! I still wasn't able to walk or stand straight, but I didn't need assistance walking anywhere so that was a good sign! Thankfully I had no plans on Monday, so I was able to just sit and rest my back. By the time Tuesday morning came around and I had to head off to clean a house, I was improved even more! In fact, later that evening I told Les that things felt like they did about 2 months into the last episode. And that was only after 3 days?!?! Praise the Lord!

Today is Wednesday and things are still continuing to improve day by day. I am walking straight (I think) and while there is obvious discomfort in my back, it isn't what I would call painful really.

I am even hoping to maybe possibly getting back on my treadmill by Saturday? I won't push it if I'm not feeling ready, but at the rate things are going, it just might be possible!

So while the setback was originally very disheartening, I am SO thankful for quick healing this time around. And that I was able to focus on one day at a time instead of getting depressed right away thinking about the possibilities of what could have been ahead for me.

ps: I edited my wisdom tooth post since there was a new development that I wanted to record. If you're interested in reading it, go to the bottom of this post to find it.

2 comments:

TammyIsBlessed said...

So glad it was more short lived this time! That will also hopefully help you not to panic if it happens again, knowing that sometimes it's a quicker recovery.

Jackie Klassen said...

Thank goodness it wasn't as bad as other times! I hope your already doing much better:)